
Destination Minneapolis, via a whole lot of 94, and getting a bit lost along the way. Fresh out of Madison, WI with some exceptionally banal instant coffee out of the hotel lobby before check-out, I decided to follow the signs for "Circus World Museum" in Baraboo, WI. I'd only been on the highway for a bit, but heck, this museum couldn't be too far out of the way, right?
...30 winding miles later:
I couldn't bring myself to go inside. There was an extensive lawn o' circus craziness in back. But hey, I got the sign pic. The museum is buried in "downtown". I finally reached it after squinting to read this little handpainted wooden sign bolted to a stop sign indicating "Circus Museum --->" I shudder to imagine how much admission they charge.
However, this detour did bring me past two more interesting backwards funny things. Well, there were funny to my tired mind:
a. "Ho-Chunk" -- Chunks do not put me in the gambling/bingo minutest. But whatever works.
b. Cow Pie? Those are not edible, are they? Those are the end products of food from bovine... Nevermind. But this was at the Baraboo Candy Outlet -- or some such name.
c. Okay, one more random one, I swear. Pigeons?! This warranted an entire, 6 foot plaque at one of the I-94 reststops. I guess if Bert can love pigeons, then I'll accept. I was still puzzled. I guess WIites really love their fowl....The last one died in 1914, apparently. That's sad. And I do kinda like the fact that they were named from an word meaning "wanderer". Ah, nomads, you're fun.
No comments:
Post a Comment